Sunday, July 8, 2012

Washington Pass Climbing: An Overview

Blurry eyed, unshaven, and pretty damn sore, I've returned from my week climbing in North Cascades National Park.  My life over the past five days:  Lots and lots of alpine climbing.  

My daily routine went something like this (with slight variation after day three when I discovered that mice had gotten into the trunk of my rental car and eaten their way through the majority of my food):  Wake at 6:00 a.m.; enjoy drip coffee and oatmeal before driving to the base of some alpine rock face and thinking to myself, "There's absolutely no way I can climb that"; walk for approximately three hours up a steep snowfield in hiking boots hardly fit for the task, eventually reaching the base of the rock only to get harassed by a pack of mountain goats who really liked my pee; rope up and climb for several more hours, oscillating between total fear and the delusion that I might be having some fun; summit high five, pictures, more mountain goats, then some down climbing, rappelling, and sliding down the snowfield to arrive safe and sound at the car by 6:30 p.m.; and, finally, a quick dinner and skim through the guidebook's description of the next day's climb before bed.  Turns out that alpine rock climbing is kinda hard.

Making moves on the Southwest Rib, South Early Winter Spire, just after muscling through my first semi-off-width crack, aptly named the "Bear Hug."
Details on the climbs to come . . . and, unfortunately, it looks like I'll have lots of time to blog over the coming weeks.  I had two things to do in June: (1) write the bar exam; and (2) find a place to live.  I failed miserably at the second.  Well, not entirely.  I did find a place to live.  It's just that on moving day we learned it's invested with bed bugs.  (F-ing bed bugs?!)  So, while the plan was to stay out west and climb for the month, you know what they say about the best laid plans.  Tomorrow I head home to search for a new home -- preferably one that doesn't have tiny little things that will bite me while I sleep and cause permanent psychological damage.  Good fun.

The playground I leave behind.