Monday, April 23, 2012

Goodbye Japan, Hello China!


The time has come -- after two and a half weeks in the land of the rising sun -- to move onto the next chapter of my great around-the-world adventure:  Yangshuo, China.  I leave from Narita tomorrow, spend the night in Guilin, China, then head further south by boat along the Li river to Yangshuo.  The "plan" is to kick off my rock climbing season on the epic and somewhat intimidating cave-like crags that surround the town with two friends who moved to the area a few months ago.  However, I'm slightly (read: highly(!)) concerned about my "climbing shape," given my recent practice of indulging excessively in Japan's delicious food and failure to exercise since leaving New Zealand.  (This, actually, isn't quite true, as Kevin, Dave, and I had a pull-up competition one day on the playground at Arashiyama Monkey Park, Kyoto a/k/a "Monkey Mountain." But I lost.)

Somebody wasn't impressed.


I'm told that websites like Facebook and Blogger are blocked in China and fear that I won't be able to communicate with the outside world during the next phase of my travels.  That's a bit of a double-edged sword, though, as tomorrow also marks the day on which I need to begin studying for the bar exam and the time I spend doing so has a strong, inverse correlation with the time I spend writing posts on the Internet. I'm hopeful, however, that I won't have to go completely dark.