Thursday, April 26, 2012

China: First Impressions

I thought that I'd try out something new for my first dispatch from China.  Over the past 24 hours, from Tokyo to the "small" (by China standards), rural town of Yangshuo, I wrote down my thoughts and mental impressions as they came to me.  This is what I wrote.

Not in Kansas anymore.  Not a word of English here and I'm feeling as though my language quota is full; not sure if I'll attempt any Mandarin.  No such thing as a line in China; men and women, old and young, bud, nudge, elbow their way in front of me.  I resort to a little physical intimidation to keep my place.  Crazy taxi driver in Guilin, the pitstop for the night.  Constantly swerving, honking; many close calls.  He hands me a travel pamphlet and I smile.  He's trying to barter with me over something but I don't know what.  Next thing I know we're at a travel agency and he wants me to buy something.  I say "no" repeatedly and tell him I just want to go to my hotel.  Eventually he agrees but he's visibly upset.  I wonder where he's taking me.  I arrive at the hotel and there are more people outside trying to get my money. Everybody hustlin'.  I keep tapping me heels but nothing is happening.  Western-style room suits me well tonight. 

Off to the pier to catch the boat to Yangshuo.  Crazy bus driver.  More honking and swerving.  Boarding the boat I watch a man throw an empty cigarette carton into the river.   This happens over and over and no one seems to care but me.  Floating along we wind through China's countryside and green, jade hills.  Constant chatter around me.  I put on my headphones and drink my tea.  The hills keep rolling past.  Suddenly alone.