Thursday, May 3, 2012

Goodbye China, Hello Turkey!

Throughout my visit to China I had a nagging question on my mind:  "Where should I go next?"  I had one week to pick a country, purchase my flight, and make all the necessary travel arrangements.  And, about two days before my scheduled departure, I still hadn't a clue as to where I should (or wanted) to go.  (A heartbreaking problem, I know.)


So I started to ask everyone I met, often repeatedly and much to their annoyance, I think.  And eventually got my answer:  Turkey.  Specifically Istanbul -- where I'd base myself for a week, study for the bar in the mornings and tour the sights by day and night.  After that, possibly Antalya to climb, Cappadocia to check out the fairy-chimney rock towers, or, dare I say it, home.  But for now it's goodbye to the land of delicious rice balls, chopsticks, and smog and hello to the Mediterranean sun.   


After experiencing Istanbul for all of a couple of hours I feel quite excited to be here, though I'm a tad jet lagged, running on a few hours of sleep and many more cups of coffee.  My initial impression is that it is a very, very beautiful place with lively people and an incredible history that I can't wait to learn more about.