Saturday, April 14, 2012

Japan: Nara Park & Todai-ji

My Japan trip had me a little worried. When traveling I typically do my best to get away from civilization. I plan week-long climbing/hiking trips. I avoid major cities at all costs. And, above all else, I stay away from popular tourist sights. But the areas in which we planned to travel in Japan didn't quite lend themselves to this type of trip and Dave -- my companion -- doesn't exactly share my preference to avoid crowds. So, accepting the fact that Japan is a different type of place and offers a different kind of experience, I've done my best to embrace the big-city lights and standard tourist circuit.

And this approach led us to Nara -- the ancient capital of Japan. I wasn't expecting much out of our visit, thinking that once you've seen one temple you've seen them all. I was wrong.

 

The Great Buddha.

Nara is great. The town itself is quant yet surprisingly cosmopolitan. In fact, Dave managed to convince a local gym to let him work out for $10, which is quite the feat. Actual "gyms" (as opposed to baths disguised as gyms) are pretty hard to come by in Japan and I'm skeptical they had an official guest policy for foreigners. But you can always count on that famous Japanese hospitality. (We did our best to return the favor giving up a highly sought after English interview to this group of school children.)

 

The little guy in the white shirt -- our interviewee -- was all business.

 

The main draw, however, is Nara Park -- home to three pretty awesome things: First, tame, wild deer. Amazing! Hundreds of them roam the streets and will eat right out of your hand. They can get a little pushy, though.

 

Too close!

This guy bit me.

Can't say I wasn't warned.

Second, Nara Park offers an up-close experience with several impressive temples/shrines built in the 8th-century A.D. Before heading to Japan I wondered aloud to Ellen: "How many ancient temples can you see before they get boring?" Turns out "many" is the answer. I've yet to get there.

 

You get there pretty quick when it comes to the deer, though.



After looking at these pictures Ellen said, "Nara looks like a pretty calming place," to which I replied, "It would be ... if there weren't millions of tourists buzzing around."

Classic Dave.

Those cherry blossoms never get old.

Third, Nara Park is home to Todai-ji -- the largest wood building in the world and a center for a certain sect of Buddhism -- and the Great Buddha Hall -- which holds the massive Daibutsu (bronze Buddha statue). Its imposing figure left quite the impression on me.

 

The temple.

Too excited!

At the entrance.

Your first sight of the Buddha.


Not the Great Buddha, but imposing nonetheless.